This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
KIDSGROVE C.P. CHAPEL BANK (north SJ 85 NE side) Mow Cop
2/50 Mow Cop Wesleyan Chapel - and Manse
11.12.87 - II
Chapel and manse. Dated 1852. Ashlar; hipped slate roof. 2 storeys with chamfer- ed plinth and coved and cyma recta moulded eaves. South front. 3 bays; fixed light glazing bar windows with semi-circular heads; C20 ground floor windows in original openings. Central boarded door with semi-circular head, pilastered surround and cyma recta moulded cornice hood. East front. 3 bays of fixed light windows with semi-circular heads. West front. Central 2-leaf door with keyed fanlight and pilastered and open pedimented surround. Flanking 2-storey stair windows with semi-circular heads springing from an impost band which continues on the south front as a sill band. Central first floor circular window with radiating glazing bars. The Manse is attached at right angles to the left. Ashlar; fish- scale tile roof; brick integral end stacks. 2 storeys with coved eaves band; 2 bays of 4-pane sashes. Central C20 glazed door. Interior.
On the ground floor is a large schoolroom with annexes, and a vestry.
Removable panelled partition walls. The school was entered from the door in the south front. The first floor is occupied by the chapel which retains its original choir stalls and elaborate wooden pulpit. The con- gregation entered by way of the west door and its flanking staircases.
Listing NGR: SJ8564556997
© Mr John Brayford. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brayford, John
Rights Holder: Brayford, John
Ashlar, Slate, Victorian Manse, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Schoolroom, Education, Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Vestry