This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9237 HIGH ROAD, Manthorpe 1315-0/11/123 (North West side) 20/09/66 Church of St John GV II
Parish church. 1847-1848, by G G Place of Nottingham. C20 additions. Ashlar with steep pitched slate roofs. Early Decorated style. Chancel and vestry, nave and south porch, with central tower and spire between them. Moulded plinth and sill band, coped gables with crosses. Windows mainly have pointed arches, tracery, and hood moulds with stops.
2 bay chancel has at the east end stepped diagonal buttresses topped with pinnacles, and a 3-light window. South side has two 2-light windows, and the north side, a single light window. Vestry has 2 segment arched windows to east and a similar door to west. 3 bay nave has two 2-light windows to south and a single lancet to north. West end has a larger 2-light window. North side has a single storey addition, mid C20. South porch has a chamfered doorway with hood mould.
Square tower, 3 stages, has stepped angle buttresses to north and south, string courses, and corbel table. The lower stages have single lancets to north and south, and the bell stage has a 2-light pointed arched opening on each side. Octagonal broach spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes and 3 tiers of crockets.
Interior, rendered, has scissor braced roofs to nave and chancel. Under the tower, double chamfered arches to east and west, on corbels, and cross beam ceiling. Chancel has a segmental pointed door to north, and a stained glass east window, 1848. Nave has a similar west window, 1848, by Willement, and on the south side, 2 stained glass windows, 1982. North side has a C20 double door. Fittings include Decorated style octagonal ashlar font and pulpit, and simple wooden benches, stalls and desks, all 1848.
Wooden lectern mid C20. Royal arms in a quatrefoil, 1848. Memorials include marble and slate war memorial tablet, c1920.
An estate church provided for workers on the Belton estate by the Brownlow family of Belton House.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 550).
Listing NGR: SK9202537901
© Mr Derek E. Godson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Godson, Derek E.
Rights Holder: Godson, Derek E.
Ashlar, Marble, Slate, Timber, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument, War Memorial