This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TA 14 NW BRANDESBURTON MAIN STREET (north side)
5/16 Church of Saint Mary 16.12.66 - I
Church. C12 chancel, C13 nave aisles and west tower, late C14 south porch.
Restored 1892 by W.S. Weatherley. Coursed cobbles, late mediaeval red brick, stone dressings, tiled roofs. West tower, 5-bay aisled nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with north vestry. West tower: 3 stages with chamfered plinth and off-sets and diagonal buttresses. C19 window with ogee tracery to second stage, paired lancets in square-headed opening to belfry.
Crenellated parapet. West window of paired lancets in square-headed opening beneath ogee-headed niche. Nave: chamfered plinth and string course. Three 3-light pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery to south aisle; three 2- light square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery to clerestory. Pointed south door with continuous chamfer and hoodmould. Porch: diagonal buttresses, 4-centred arch to doorway, quatrefoil openings to east and west walls. Crenellated parapet with gargoyles. Chancel: 3-light square-headed window with cusped ogee tracery to west, two 3-light 4-centred windows with C19 tracery in Perpendicular style to east. Chamfered round-headed priests' door with chamfered imposts and continuous hoodmould. East end: dwarf buttress beneath pointed 5-light window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould. One surviving lancet to north wall. Remains of earlier gable against nave east gable: coped, with brattished finial. Interior: quadruple-chamfered tower arch on polygonal responds. Nave: C13 north and south arcades with waterholding bases, cylindrical piers (one octagonal to north) and round abaci suppporting pointed double-chamfered arches. Ogee headed piscina to south aisle wall. C15 chancel arch. Chancel: squint to north vestry beneath blocked lancet. Aumbries to north, south, and east walls. Remains of niche with crocketed ogee canopy to north wall. Brasses to William Darrell, Rector, died 1364, and to Sir John de St. Quintin, died 1397, and his wife. Wall monument to Reverend Charles Richardson died 1755: inscription in architrave under broken pediment with coat of arms.
Octagonal font reset on C19 octagonal column and base. Much C12 carved stone incorporated in late C19 repairs and alterations to west tower.
Listing NGR: TA1194247643
© Mr Les Waby. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Waby, Les
Rights Holder: Waby, Les
Brick, Cobble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument