This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST 93 SE TEFFONT WYLYE ROAD (west side)
1/189 Church of St. Edward Formerly lisated as Chapel Church) 6.1.66
Anglican parish church. C13 and C14. Rubble stone with dressed limestone, tiled roof with stone slates to eaves. Consists of nave and chancel under one roof, south porch. C14 gabled south porch has double chamfered pointed doorway, coped verges. Nave to left side has pair of lancets, to right are two pairs of lancets. East end has diagonal buttresses and group of three stepped cusped lancets. North side has pair of lancets either side of blocked pointed doorway. West end has diagonal buttresses and double bell-niche with arched heads.
Interior: porch has original arch-braced collar-rafter roof, pointed inner doorway with ovolo-moulded arch, 4-bay nave roof has tie-beam and collar trusses with chamfered tie-beams and braced collars. Flagstone floors throughout. Blocked north doorway opposite south door with same ovolo-moulded arch. Early C16 wooden traceried chancel screen, one-bay chancel has plastered pointed barrel-vaulted ceiling. Pointed piscina on south wall with ovolo- moulded arch. C19 wooden pulpit and reading desk in C16 style.
C12 cylindrical font on octagonal plinth, on north side of nave.
C19 pews. To left of south door is reset fragment of Saxon cross with fine interlaced carving. Limestone Gothic-style wall tablet in chancel to William Lush of Deptford, died 1836; inscription records a charitable endowment of 50 for blankets for the poor.
Church was a chapel of ease to Dinton until 1922 when it became a chapelry to Teffont Evias. Fine example of a simple, little- restored village church. (VCH, Wiltshire Vol 8, 1965.)
Listing NGR: ST9891632368
© Mrs Anne Thomas. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Thomas, Anne
Rights Holder: Thomas, Anne
Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Chapel Of Ease, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Anglican Church, Church, Parish Church