This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 73-7450 & 73-7451 ODIHAM BURYFIELDS
17/117 Almshouses (formerly listed as Nos 1 to 9 8.7.52 The Court (Almshouses)
1628. A single-storeyed group of small dwellings arranged on 3 sides of a court; a fourth (north) side having an entrance from the churchyard. Red tile roofing, with gables at the north and south (west side) and to a modern extension from the north-east corner, hipped at the south-east corner. Red brick walling, English bond, hood-moulds to most windows, chamfered reveals, high plinth. Passageway on the axis has arches (4 centred) and there are 2 other arched doorways (now filled with windows). On the outside large chimney breasts are arranged symmetrically, tapering upwards to square bases for diagonal flues. There are a few survivors of the original small windows, but most are later (and larger) openings: modern casements. Doors are plain, in solid frames. The low wall on the north side of the court rises to piers in the centre, the wall between them being pierced with a 4-centred arch, filled with a wrought-iron gate.
Listing NGR: SU7416550819
© Mr Anthony Chapman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Chapman, Anthony
Rights Holder: Chapman, Anthony
Brick, Tile, Wrought Iron, Tudor Gate Pier, Elizabethan Unassigned, Stuart Wall, Jacobean Monument (By Form), Barrier, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building, Arch, Gate