This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NY 84 NW WEST ALLEN CARRSHIELD (East side)
21/221 Carrshield Expedition Centre
School, now Expedition Centre, dated 1851. Squared stone with ashlar dressings, tooled and margined plinth and quoins. 1 & 2 storeys, 7 bays, symmetrical.
Central gabled projecting 2-storey bay has 3-light ground floor window, 2-light window above and panel in gable inscribed: CAR SHIELD SCHOOL BUILT BY AND ON LAND BELONGING TO W.B. BEAUMONT, ESQ.
FOR THE EDUCATION OF CHILDREN OF ALL RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS 1851.
Flanking sections of 1 tall storey, each with central bay set forward as a gabled porch; renewed doors under tall overlights, panels above with GIRLS SCHOOL (left) and BOYS SCHOOL (right). Coped gables. Intermediate bays have tall tripartite sashes. All openings in recessed and hollow-chamfered surrounds.
Coped left gable with corniced stone stack; tall corniced stone stacks flank centre bay. Right gable capped by bellcote carried on 4 block corbels. Date panel below 4-centred-arched opening, cornice above and triangular finials.
Rear elevation altered.
Listing NGR: NY8029847790
© Mr Ben Robinson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Robinson, Ben
Rights Holder: Robinson, Ben
Ashlar, Stone, Victorian Field Centre, Education, Recreational, School