This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NY 75 SE WEST ALLEN NINEBANKS
14/237 Church of St. Mark
Parish Church, 1871 by Haswell. Rubble with dressings, blue slate roof with 2 purple bands and orange ridge tiles. Rectangular structure with canted apse, south porch linked to south-west tower and small vestry on north. Tower, stepped in 3 stages has paired belfry openings with central shafts and chamfered pointed arches above lintels, square stone spire with 2 bands of tegulated ornament. Projecting porch has pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders; to east of porch 3 lancets. West end has two stepped buttresses, the northern set between 2 trefoiled lancets which share a continuous hoodmould. East end has a trefoiled lancet in each face of the apse. On north are 4 lancets to west-of vestry which has a boarded door on the west and a 2-light window with pointed heads above lintels, on the north.
Interior without any structural division. Arch-braced roof trusses carried on moulded corbels; simple furnishings include font in C13 style.
Listing NGR: NY7825352452
© Mr Ben Robinson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Robinson, Ben
Rights Holder: Robinson, Ben
Rubble, Slate, Tile, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship