Manor House, Including The Stable Block To The East

Date:
15 Mar 2003
Location:
Manor House, Including The Stable Block To The East, Osler Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire
Reference:
IOE01/10374/05
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

OSLER ROAD 1.

1485 (West Side) Manor House, including the Stable block to the East SP 5407 18/39 12.1.54.

II 2.

Probably C18-19. House consisting of A 3-storeyed centre-piece facing Sourth with flanking 2-storeyed recessed wings. The South elevation has an ashlar front on rubble with a stone coved cornice and hipped brown tiled roof.

There are stone-faced and yellow brick chimney shafts. The centre-piece has in its pediment a sundial in a blocked circular lunette, a stone band at the 1st floor, a Doric-style 2-columned porch and 5 sash windows in plain reveals. The East wing is slightly recessed and is of ashlar and has been extended to the East; it has 4 sash windows. The West wing is more recessed than the East and has 3 sash windows. The North elevation is similar but has a well-proportioned 2-storeyed bay with 3 sash windows, a band at the 1st floor, moulded cornice and a parapet.

The contemporary stable block lies to the East and is included in the grading.

Listing NGR: SP5418607431

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0362 IOE Records taken by Andrew Carter; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Andrew Carter. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Carter, Andrew

Rights Holder: Carter, Andrew

Keywords

Ashlar, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Victorian Domestic, Dwelling, Sundial, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport