Parish Church (Blesssed Virgin And Child) / Church Of The Blessed Virgin And Child

21 Aug 2004
Parish Church (Blesssed Virgin And Child), Palace Lane B3054, Beaulieu, New Forest, Hampshire
Show all locations
Church Of The Blessed Virgin And Child, Palace Lane B3054, Beaulieu, New Forest, Hampshire
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BEAULIEU PALACE LANE (off) SU 3802/3902 B3054 Church of the Blessed Virgin and 17/17 Child (formerly listed as Parish 8.10.59 Church (Blessed Virgin & Child) GV I Parish church, originally monastic frater. Early /mid C13, altered C15 and C16, restored 1849 and 1900-10. Coursed Binstead stone, internally Caen stone and Purbeck marble, old plain tile roof. On north-south axis, 4 wide bays.

At south end, in centre is huge full-height buttress, each side pointed lancet (centre lancet behind buttress). Sloping-topped angle buttresses.

East side has 6 pointed lancets with continuous roll-moulding, but boiler-house and chimney in north bay, buttresses between bays and C19 gabled porch to north of centre. West side has similar lancets, 2 near south end, 2 to north of centre, between is staircase turret like a buttress, 2-light window, and 3 smaller lancets. In front of one of these and towards north 3 irregular C18 buttresses. Near north end C16 doorway and remains of hatch from kitchen. North elevation, facing onto cloisters, has 3-order finely moulded doorway, retaining medieval door with original ironwork. Beside 2-light trefoiled window. 3 lancets over, taller one in centre, with moulded sill string. Lancet high-set in gable.

On roof square-plan hip-roofed bellcote. Inside main feature is, on south wall, the C13 reading pulpit on huge corbel bracket decorated with large stiff-leaf splays. Actual pulpit C19 restoration. Behind is pointed archway to room lit by 2-light window and vaulted. To south is doorway to staircase in buttress/turret. To north staircase access with open arcade to church of coupled Purbeck columns to moulded point arches, 4 arches and 2 higher-set to south. To north is pointed doorway with wall painting.

C15 arched brace roof with longitudinal ribs and bosses on junction. Rest of the building has C16, C18 and C19 features. Circa 1900 reredos.

Monument 1651 to Mary Do, stone and marble, figure under open pediment on Tuscan columns. Rest of monuments and furnishings C19. VCH; Vol.4; 1911; p653. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p96.

Listing NGR: SP3883202548


This is part of the Series: IOE01/0923 IOE Records taken by Peter Howard Harris; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr Peter Howard Harris. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Harris, Peter Howard

Rights Holder: Harris, Peter Howard


Caen Stone, Limestone, Marble, Purbeck Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Boiler House, Industrial, Steam Power Production Site, Power Generation Site, Refectory, Unassigned, Building Component, Building