Parish Church Of St Mary

Date:
8 Apr 2003
Location:
Parish Church Of St Mary, North Square, Chickerell, West Dorset, Dorset, DT3 4DX
Reference:
IOE01/10421/06
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SY 68 SW CHICKERELL NORTH SQUARE

6/107 Parish Church of St Mary 26.1.56 GV II*

Parish Church. C13 Chancel and Nave. 1722, south Porch rebuilt. 1804 Chancel walls lowered. 1834, north Aisle added. North Vestry, C20. Chancel restored in 1865, further restorations in 1875 and 1896. Rubble-stone walls with stone dressings. Slate roofs. Chancel: C13 3-light east window. South wall, two C19 windows, and a blocked C13 doorway between with continuous chamfered jambs and 2-centred head. C20 doorway in north wall to Vestry. Nave: south wall has a chamfered plinth, and a moulded string close under the eaves. High up at east end, small single light window with an ogee opening and pierced spandrels in a square head. Large C15 window, east of porch, of 3 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a distorted 2-centred head. Label with head-stops. Altered 2-light window, C14, west of porch. Gabled west wall has a central buttress in 3 stages, and an ashlar bellcote with 2 round-headed openings under a gablet. South porch, entrance has a chamfered segmental head and chamfered jambs. Small stone tab- let over with the initials and date IH 1722. North aisle, stone tablet over the west doorway inscribed 'This aisle built 1834 by subscription'. End walls with 2-light-windows. North wall with a 3-light window, all with simple intersecting tracery in 2-centred heads. Interior: Nave, north wall entirely removed and replaced by 3 C19 cast-iron columns. Chancel-arch, late C13, rebuilt and widened, 2-centred and of 2 orders, inner hollow-chamfered, and the outer chamfered, with roll-moulded stops. Fittings: Font, circular tub-shaped bowl with nearly straight sides, shallow band of fluted label-ornament under the rim, 3 incised lines bands of bead and interlace round the lower part, C12, on modern cylindrical stem.

Gallery across full width of church, 1834. Pulpit, six-sided, oak with fluted and reeded styles, sides divided into 3 tiers. One panel carved with date and initials'1630 RW.IM'. Monument: Purbeck marble slab with incised figure of priest, C15, cut--down and reset on modern corbels.

(RCHM Dorset II, p.38 (1)).

Listing NGR: SY6438680689

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0137 IOE Records taken by Derek Beauchamp; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Derek Beauchamp. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Beauchamp, Derek

Rights Holder: Beauchamp, Derek

Keywords

Ashlar, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship