This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NETHERAVON - SU 14 SW 9/98 Church of All Saints 27.5.64 I Anglican parish and prebendal church. C11, C12, C13 and C15.
Rendered flint with tiled roofs, lead to aisles. Nave with aisles, chancel with north vestry, and west tower. Entrance through west tower. A most impressive tall arch with roll moulded arrises on paired half-round imposts with carved capitals. Low side doors with monolithic lintels and blind tympana. This work all probably early C11, the lateral doors leading to former porticus, the scars of the walls of which are clearly seen. The west door was probably under a porch or small west forebuilding. Nave C13, with corbel table and lancet clerestory. Aisles have C15 three-light windows, the west walls being the east walls of the demolished porticus, with herringbone masonry. Chancel also C13, with simple side lancets and 3-light Geometric east window. Tower has side- alternate quoins and herringbone large flints, of 3 stages, the upper stage offset, and having C11-C12 lights and a billet corbel table. Two inset western buttresses disguise evidence of forebuilding. 1626 parapet, the pinnacles removed.
Interior: West tower has high arch to nave, the imposts with 3 attached shafts leading through basic capitals to arris and intrados rolls. Nave arcade C13, of 4 bays, round columns, the eastern with four clustered shafts and trumpet capitals.
Clerestory has wide embrasures. Walls plastered in C19. Also C19 steep pitched open roof with crown posts and arch braced collars.
High door to former rood screen. Chancel arch C19 Romanesque, and C19 open timber roof to chancel, which also has trefoiled piscina, and aumbrey. South aisle extended east in C19, with C19 opening to chancel and external door, both well carved. North porch demolished after 1809. Fittings: Font, C19, octagonal. Pulpit: c1919 highly carved with nodding ogees. Monuments: Two wall monuments in chancel. North side: Marble tablet with shaped slate field over, with draped marble urn on casket. To Thomas Herne of Bloomsbury, died 1799. Panel added for niece, died 1909. South side: Similar tablet by T. King of Bath. Marble panel with pilasters. Draped urn on casket against grey slate field, to Daniel Herne, died 1814. Simple brass on south wall, to John Samwell, died 1669, and two late C19 brasses. C19 glass in east and west aisle windows. Netheravon was probably a location of a pre-conquest religious house.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England, Wiltshire; Taylor & Taylor, Anglo- Saxon Architecture, 1965, 456-8.)
Listing NGR: SU1478948395
© Mr John Rendle. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Rendle, John
Rights Holder: Rendle, John
Flint, Lead, Render, Tile, Early Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument, Anglican Church