This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 51 SE AYTHORPE RODING
5/8 HIGHAMS FARMHOUSE
Early C17 with C19 extension. Timber-framed, plastered, roof tiled, with brick extension. L-plan, comprising 3-bay SE wing of a former hall house, with brick NW wing. Two storeys. Entrance front has central 2-storey porch of plastered brick in Tudor style, C19, with original external stack to SE. Garden elevation has bay of 3 sash windows at SW end and 2 sash windows on ground floor, 3 sash windows and one arched cast iron window on first floor, all early C19. Panelling with fluted frieze, circa 1600, which RCHM reported in a garden pavilion, installed in lower SW room.
Roof rebuilt, re-using some smoke-blackened medieval rafters. Cast iron pump in wooden case against E corner. Moated site. RCHM 4.
Listing NGR: TL5997014984
© Mr Frank Swift. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Swift, Frank
Rights Holder: Swift, Frank
Brick, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Tudor Hall House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart House, Jacobean Domestic, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Moat, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Pump, Pump, Water Supply Site