This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NORTH HUISH SX75NW 4/449 Brookdale
Rectory now an hotel. Early C19 house remodelled and greatly extended in circa 1849 to 50 and extended again later in the C19. Stone rubble rendered and lined out. Dry slate roofs with lead rolls to the ridges, the gabled end and gabled front has pierced wavey bargeboards in wood decorated with quatrefoils, pendants and finials. The right hand end of the south front has an embattled parapet with moulded coping. Rendered axial and gable end stacks, some with yellow brick diagonally set shafts.
Plan: The early C19 house was relegated to a service range at the back (north) when in circa 1840-50 a large Tudor Gothic style house was built at the front (south). This addition has a central entrance hall which leads to a stairwell behind a small office to the left of the entrance; to the right of the entrance there is a larger room which was probably the dining room. At the extreme left there is a cross wing containing the drawing room and a smaller room behind. The early C19 range fills the angle between the main range and the back of the cross wing; at the right end of the early C19 range there is a large single storey lean-to and at the left end of the 1840-50 range there is a 2 storey 1-room plan block which was probably added later in the C19. The whole house is in Tudor Gothic style including the early C19 part which was refashioned when the additions were built.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5 window front of 1:3:1 window bays.
To the left the broad gable end of the cross wing is slightly advanced and has a large 4-light moulded mullion transom window with 4-centred heads with decorated spandrels to the top lights and a hoodmould with flower design in the stops, and a large oriel above with similar lights and a heavily moulded corbelled soffit with a frieze of quatrefoils. The 3-bay section of the centre is symmetrical and has 2 steeper pitched gables left and right with small blind panels with hoodmoulds; the first floor windows have moulded mullions and transoms with 4-centred headed lights and hoodmoulds, the centre window 2 lights, left and right 3-light windows; ground floor 2 canted bays with similar windows and a central battlemented porch with diagonal buttresses at the corners with set offs and lion gargoyles above, the battlements are stepped up to a small gable over the centre with a shield and ribbon below; the heavily moulded 4-centred arch doorway has leaf decoration in the spandrels and a hoodmould. The inner doorway has a semi-circular fanlight with radial glazing bars and a half glazed C19 door. The late C19 1-window bay extension to the right has a 3-light window on the ground floor and a 2-light window on the first floor, both with transoms, 4-centred arch lights and hoodmoulds.
The left hand return has a wide gable to right and a smaller gable to the left; on the ground floor right a wide splayed bay window with battlements and a 3-light window above; to the left a similar 3-light window on the ground floor and a 2-light window on the first floor all with 4-centred arch lights and hoodmoulds.
Rear elevation: gabled cross wing to right with 2 and 3-light mullion transom windows with hoodmoulds and 4-centred arch lights. Set back to left the early C19 house with a 3-window range of 12-pane sashes with hoodmoulds; ground floor right a tripartite sash and to left of centre a C19 6-panel door with a rectangular fanlight and a simple gabled porch; the left hand gable end of this range has a truncated stack and a large single storey lean-to extension. The back of the main front range to the left has a 12-pane sashes with a hoodmould and gabled attic dormers above. To the left the later C19 extension with a lower hipped rood.
Interior: The drawing room has a white marble gothic chimneypiece with a moulded Tudor arch; moulded egg and dart cornice, the ceiling board is richly moulded with flowers and fruit and the centrepiece has acanthus leaves and a wreath; the window shutters are intact. The office to the left of the entrance is plain and its chimneypiece has been replaced. The room to the right of the entrance has a Devonian marble chimneypiece with a 4-centred arch, quatrefoil frieze and corbels supporting the mantel; a moulded ceiling cornice with moulded trailing vine and centrepiece. The extreme right hand room has a cast iron chimneypiece with an eagle in the frieze and pilasters depicting the arts with musical instruments, artists palettes and writer's quills etc; the walls are lined in boarding. The open-well open string staircase has octagonal newels with pendants, hollow chamfered stick balusters and a moulded oak handrail with mould capping over the newels. Most of the C19 joinery is intact on the ground floor.
The first floor has many earlier C19 moulded 6-panel doors.
Listing NGR: SX7081456646
© Mr Keith Mackenzie. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mackenzie, Keith
Rights Holder: Mackenzie, Keith
Render, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Georgian Vicarage, Victorian Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Hostel, Commercial, Residential Building