This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 4245 FOWLMERE CHAPEL LANE (North Side) 18/105 No. 9 (White Hall) GV II House. Dated ITM 1658 on plaque in south elevation, extensions and additions c.1780 and 1848. Timber-framed and plastered with plastered brick plinth and brick infill. Hipped plain tiled roof. Three storeys original C17 L-plan rebuilt forming square plan with kitchen extension to north c.1780, second storey added c.1848. East elevation, symmetrical three 'bays', with C18 panelled door, patterned rectangular fanlight with shallow hood. Two ground floor twenty-paned flush-framed hung sash windows with panelled shutters, two first floor sixteen-paned hung sash windows with central casement window and two similar second floor windows with twelve panes. South elevation has two bay windows, early and late C19. Interior: C18 doors and doorcases, staircase with turned balusters, some plastered cornices and boxed ceiling beams. The Wedd family (1780-1848) were dissenters and educators; they ran a school in the barn to the west and built the chapel, the property was sold to Mr Stockbridge c.1848 who was a miller.
V.C.H. Vol. VI, p.164 R.C.H.M. Report. 1950
Listing NGR: TL4219345610
© Mrs Charmain Hawkins. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hawkins, Charmain
Rights Holder: Hawkins, Charmain
Brick, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Stuart Timber Framed House, Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Kitchen