This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 4245 FOWLMERE HIGH STREET (North Side) 18/126 The Old Rectory II Rectory now a house. 1853-4, by H.E. Kendall (1805-85). Italianate style.
Gault brick; slated hipped and gabled roofs. Two tall stacks. Two storeys, symmetrical facade with central bays projecting and rising to gabled attic floor. Deep boarded eaves with paired modillions; brick band linking first floor windows at impost height; rusticated brick banding to ground floor and plinth. All windows with recessed hung sashes without glazing bars in segmental or round headed brick arches with stone key blocks and stone sills supported on console brackets. Two large ground floor, and two first floor windows flank central two bays with rectangular planned ground floor window and first floor balcony; three grouped ground floor windows and similar, smaller attic windows; two first floor windows similar to side windows.
Main entrance to west with large panelled glazed door and with a round headed brick canopy. Interior: Details contemporary, open string staircase.
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p.162 Water Colour in Church possibly by Kendall; an architectural composition of the rectory.
Listing NGR: TL4220945966
© Mrs Charmain Hawkins. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hawkins, Charmain
Rights Holder: Hawkins, Charmain
Brick, Slate, Victorian Vicarage, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Monument <By Form>