Parsonage Court

Date:
5 Apr 2003
Location:
Parsonage Court, Queen Street, Winkleigh, Torridge, Devon, EX19 8JB
Reference:
IOE01/10528/01
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

WINKLEIGH QUEEN STREET (north side) SS 6308 Winkleigh 11/184 Parsonage Court GV II House formerly parsonage. C17 origins extended in C18 and C19 with internal alterations. Cob and rubble walls mainly rendered, exposed rubble to ground floor of left-hand side. flipped thatch roof. Brick stacks at either end and one axial stack. Large rubble stack with brick shaft lateral to right-hand rear wing.

Plan: originally probably 2-room plan, both heated by end fireplaces. Extended by 1 room at the left-hand end in the C18 with rear stair projection added. In C19 outshuts were built along the rear wall and a wash-house added in a 1 storey wing behind the right-hand end. A granary was built set back from the left-hand end of the house in the C18 or early C19 and in circa 1900 this was converted to domestic use and at the same time the house was thoroughly remodelled internally and a wing added behind its left-hand end as a separate cottage, possibly servant's accommodation.

A further service range enclosing the courtyard at the rear was built either at this stage or during the second half of the C19.

Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front of early - mid C20 3-light casements. The left-hand end of the house projects slightly. To its right is C19 or early C20 panelled and part-glazed door behind elaborate Edwardian wooden lattice porch. C20 double part-glazed door at right-hand end. Set back from left-hand end is former granary with large early C20 bay window on 1st floor against left-hand end wall. Wing extends to the rear with carriageway going beneath it to courtyard.

Interior: most of the internal features date from the remodelling of circa 1900 but one original fireplace survives with chamfered and stopped wooden lintel. This house forms an attractive group with its thatched farm buildings and occupies an important position adjoining the churchyard.

Listing NGR: SS6330308091

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0990 IOE Records taken by Barbara Hilton; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Dr Barbara Hilton. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Hilton, Barbara

Rights Holder: Hilton, Barbara

Keywords

Cob, Render, Rubble, Thatch, Tudor Vicarage, Elizabethan Domestic, Stuart Clergy House, Jacobean Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Granary, Agriculture And Subsistence, Food And Drink Processing Site, Agricultural Building, Wash House, Health And Welfare, Service Wing, Monument <By Form>, Courtyard, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Carriageway, Transport, Road, Road Transport Site