Feeringbury Manor

22 Apr 2003
Feeringbury Manor, Coggeshall Road, Feering, Braintree, Essex, CO5 9RB
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.


3/83 Feeringbury Manor 2.5.53


House. Circa 1300, altered in C15, C16, C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 3-bay hall facing NE, formerly aisled, with C16 stack to rear of middle bay. C15 3-bay crosswing to right, extending forwards; with C16 and C18 external stacks to right, and C19 external stack to rear. Late C16 3-bay crosswing to left, extending further forwards, with C16 and C19 external stacks to left. C18/early C19 extension to left of front bay. C18 and C19 extensions to rear of hall range. Other C19 extensions were demolished c.1960. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 4 C19/20 casements, one Gothic Revival casement with 2-centred head and Y-tracery, and early C19 splayed bay of sashes below jetty of right crosswing, extending forwards. First floor, 2 C19/20 casements, 3 early C19 tripartite sashes, and one small fixed light with glazed margins. C19 Gothic Revival door with 2-centred head, in gabled porch with bargeboards. 2 plain brackets below jetty of right crosswing. Late C19 scrolled brackets below eaves of left crosswing. In the right return a French window is cut through the C16 stack; on the first floor is one early C19 sash of 12 lights. In the left return a French window is cut through the C16 stack, which has an ovolo-moulded cornice and 3 octagonal shafts. The rear stack has 3 octagonal shafts, truncated. The roof of the right crosswing has a gablet hip to the rear. The hall has a late C16 inserted floor, with chamfered beams and lamb's tongue stops. The aisles have been removed in the C16, and studding has been inserted below the arcade plates. The roof retains some heavily smoke-blackened original rafters, mostly re-set in the C16 with unsooted pegs; one rafter has an oblique trench for a passing-brace near the apex; the tiebeams are not morticed for crownposts. The right crosswing has a studded partition at both storeys between the middle and rear bays, an edge-halved and bridled scarf in the right wallplate, jowled posts, a cambered tiebeam, and crownpost roof with gauging holes and axial braces. The front ground floor room of it has been extensively altered in Gothic Revival style, with a carved monogram E.R.C. (for E.R. Corder) and date 1878 on a post to the left. Re-set in the front windows are 2 roundels of C16 glass, E.R. with a crowned rose, and R.H. with the arms of Heygate (for Sir Richard Heygate). The left crosswing has on the upper storey a studded partition between the middle and rear bays, jowled posts, a cambered tiebeam, and a clasped purlin roof with arched wind-bracing.

The absence of gauging holes in the rafters, and the ovolo moulding of the stack, indicates a date of construction after 1575, but probably not later than 1600. The manor was held by the Abbot of Westminster from an unknown date, but certainly by 1343, until the Dissolution. Henry VII granted it to his newly created Bishopric of Westminster in 1540; under Edward VI the Bishopric was suppressed, and Feeringbury passed to the Bishop of London in 1550. (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, 1768, II, 171. Feeringbury was held by the Quaker families of Corder and Catchpole from c.1717 (B.L.

Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974, 63-4. RCHM 4.

Listing NGR: TL8633121558


This is part of the Series: IOE01/2237 IOE Records taken by Wilfred N Winder; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Winder, Wilfred N.

Rights Holder: Winder, Wilfred N.


Plaster, Tile, Timber, Medieval Aisled House, Monument <By Form>, Aisled Building, House, Domestic, Hall House, Dwelling, Jettied House, Jettied Building, Timber Framed Building, Timber Framed House, Manor House