This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5275 ST PETER'S STREET (West Side) Church of St Peter (Formerly listed under Market Street) TR 3358 1/1 19.5.50.
There is evidence in the base of the central tower of early Norman work, but it was rebuilt in the early C13. The aisles date from the C14 but the earthquake in 1661 caused the top of the central tower to collapse destroying the south aisle. The tower was rebuilt in the Dutch style in brick with a lead cupola surmounting it. There is a Dutch gable to the Vestry and an early C13 crypt under it. There are 2 fine C14 monuments in the north wall and a similar effigy upon a tomb at the west end, and a number of memorials.
Listing NGR: TR3307358165
© Mr Martin Poole. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Poole, Martin
Rights Holder: Poole, Martin
Brick, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Crypt, Funerary Site, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative