This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MARKET PLACE 1.
1380 Old Town Hall and Police Station TR 3571 SW 2/240
Mainly C19. The North portion is C17. The ground floor is cement rendered, the 1st floor is flint faced with brick quoins. Tiled roof. The front elevation has a curved gable with 1 round window and 1 round-headed sash.
Stringcourse. The ground floor has arcading with keystones, the centre part forming a doorcase. Sashes. The south portion is of 2 storeys cement rendered with dropped moulded eaves cornice. 3 blanks on 1st floor. 5 sashes on ground floor. Attached to this by a footbridge is a portion of 2 storeys cement rendered with a balustraded parapet and sashes with pediments over. Attached to this is a Victorian cast iron bus shelter.
The interior of the court room contains some fine C18 overmantels from demolished buildings.
Listing NGR: TR3554871250
© Mr M.K Lofthouse. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Lofthouse, M.K
Rights Holder: Lofthouse, M.K
Brick, Cast Iron, Cement, Flint, Render, Tile, Tudor Town Hall, Elizabethan Civil, Stuart Meeting Hall, Jacobean Public Building, Bus Shelter, Transport, Road Transport Site, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Street Furniture, Footbridge, Pedestrian Transport Site, Bridge, Police Station, Legal Site