This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STOUGT0N STANSTED SU 71 SE 6/294A The former stables and former service wing of 5.6.58 Stansted House
The stables were built by James Wyatt in 1786 and were rebuilt by Thomas Hopper in 1840. They survived the fire of 1900. Two storeys. 7 windows.
White brick. The end window bays project and have long and short quoins of Roman cement. Stringcourse, cornice and parapet with a pediment over the central window bay. Windows in moulded architrave surrounds with glazing bars intact. In the centre of the roof is a rather heavy tower of complicated design. It consists of groups of 4 columns at the angles with a recess between containing 2 columns, and a clock face above. Dentilled cornice over and parapet surmounted by a stepped pyramid with a weather vane over it. The building is flanked on each side by a carriage archway leading to the stable yard. These are round-headed arches flanked by twin columns with a cornice and parapet over. The yard is a long rectangular space be- tween the stable building and the service wing of the house behind to the east. This also dates from 1786 and is a two-storey building of white brick.
This originally had a tower similar to that on the stables, but this has been demolished.
Listing NGR: SU7613210386
© Mr David Easton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Easton, David
Rights Holder: Easton, David
Brick, Roman Cement, Georgian Service Wing, Domestic, Stable, Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Transport, Carriageway, Road, Road Transport Site, Yard, Unassigned, Clock Tower, Tower, Building, Weather Vane