Coate Farmhouse

Date:
4 May 2003
Location:
Coate Farmhouse, Eastleach, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7 3NQ
Reference:
IOE01/10594/05
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

EASTLEACH - SP 20 SW at NGR SP 200042 8/163 Coate Farmhouse II Former farmhouse, now detached house. Early-mid C17; extensive early-mid C19 repairs and rebuilding. Random rubble limestone; rubble and ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Two-storey with attic; L-plan. East front: 2-window fenestration all 3-light recessed cavetto mullioned casements with hoodmoulds. Two segmental arched doorways grouped at centre with C20 glazed doors.

South return wing projects forward with gable end to left having rubble chimney; large octagonal-ended attached C20 conservatory.

North end: gable end with 3-light mullioned casement to each floor. South end: 2-window segmental arched fenestration, all casements. Single gabled roof dormer; lean-to to ground floor with plank door. Interior not inspected. Recorded as being used as labourer's cottages in 1831, this was the Fyfield manor house until the building of Fyfield Manor (q.v.).

(N.M. Herbert, 'Eastleach Martin' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp.

55-61; and A.P. Ledger, Eastleach Martin and Eastleach Turville, 1974)

Listing NGR: SP2008305059

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1656 IOE Records taken by Anthony Rau; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Anthony Rau. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Rau, Anthony

Rights Holder: Rau, Anthony

Keywords

Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tudor Farm Labourers Cottage, Elizabethan Domestic, Stuart Agricultural Dwelling, Jacobean Dwelling, House, Farmhouse, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Manor House, Conservatory, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Glasshouse, Garden Building, Monument <By Form>