This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5320 LITTLE WALSINGHAM COMMON PLACE (South Side)
Shire Hall TF 9336 NW 1/38 30.11.51.
2. C15 origin; 2 storeys, floor removed late C18 to provide chamber for court.
Flint with later brick parapet and window and door dressings. Steep pantile roof with gabled ends. Two storeys. First floor 3 large sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor 3 flush-panel doors in segmental-headed openings and on right main entrance with large pediment on shaped brackets and double doors with flush panels and moulded doorcase. Brick chimney stack at each end. Remains of C15 stone window frames at rear with ogee or 4-centred arch lights.
Interior: court chamber complete with late C18/early C19 court fittings including chairman's seat, box benches. Royal Arms of George III dated 1778, panelling, and public gallery at west end under which is prisoners' lock-up containing benches and urinal. Quarter Sessions were held here until 1861.
Listing NGR: TF9344936835
© Mr John Giles. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Giles, John
Rights Holder: Giles, John
Brick, Flint, Pantile, Medieval Shire Hall, Tudor Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building, Court Room, Law Court, Legal Site