This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ3297NW GREAT GEORGE'S ROAD 778-1/9/46 (South East side) Former Christ Church School
School. 1842, for the National Society; enlarged and altered. Common brick in Flemish bond with red sandstone dressings, slate roof. F-plan formed by main range parallel to street with projecting wings offset left of centre and at right-hand end, and short set-back wing at left end. EXTERIOR: single storey, 2:1:1:3 windows; with rusticated quoins. The gable end of the wing to the left has a triple-window feature composed of a central cross-window and narrow flanking blind windows, with stone architraves linked by their hoodmoulds, and above this a stone tablet with raised lettering "CHRIST CHURCH / NATIONAL SCHOOL / 1842" (the figures of the date on corbel feet); the right-hand wing has stepped cross-windows (but the lower part covered by a short flat-roofed extension in matching style). The main range has 2 cross-windows to the left and one in the centre, with architraves in similar style; and a C20 doorway in the angle with the right wing. INTERIOR: not inspected. Except for the Merchant Taylors Free Grammar School (now part of Merchant Taylors Girls' School, Liverpool Road, qv), this building appears to be the oldest public school in Crosby.
Listing NGR: SJ3209497731
© Mr James A. Ray. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Ray, James A.
Rights Holder: Ray, James A.
Brick, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian School, Education, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument