This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ39NW CHURCH ROAD 778-1/3/26 (South side) 26/03/73 International Hotel
Public house. Probably c1890-1910; slightly altered. Red brick with painted stone dressings, slated mansard roof. Flamboyant Renaissance style. Wedge-shaped plan on acutely-angled corner site. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus a full attic storey, 6 windows to Church Road, 1 at the angle and 7 to Waterloo Road. Very regular facades, with a plinth, closely-grouped openings, a frieze enriched with panels, prominent dentilled cornice, and dramatic skyline formed by segmental-pedimented attic windows with pineapple finials and that at the angle with an enriched triumphal arch over it. The ground floor has round-headed windows and doorways with elaborate eared architraves which have cornices and shallow segmental pediments, the architraves linked at mid-height by square panels with raised roundels on them. The 1st-floor windows have moulded architraves with swags on the heads, and pulvinated friezes with moulded cornices; and the attic windows, breaking through a corniced brick parapet, have pilastered architraves with the segmental pediments already mentioned. Windows sashed without glazing bars. INTERIOR: believed to be altered.
Listing NGR: SJ3271796707
© Mr James A. Ray. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Ray, James A.
Rights Holder: Ray, James A.
Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Public House, 20th Century Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational