This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SZ3589 ST JAMES'S STREET 1354-0/10/388 (West side) Methodist Church
Methodist church. Built in 1881 in Perpendicular style. Front of ashlar, other elevations of stock brick with slate roof.
Gable end with stone coping and kneelers. Elaborate east window with paned tracery, triple arch with crockets above, the central arch double with 2 tiers of cinquefoil lights with sexfoil above, the side arches with 2 tiers of cinquefoil-headed lights only. Arched doorcase to right hand side with dripmould continuing into plinth. South east tower with archway below. Pointed arch at base, squat square tower above with triple trefoliated opening and truncated octagonal tower surmounted by stone spire with gargoyles at base. Side elevations of stock brick. Attached to front is stock brick wall with squat pier and pyramidal stone top with cast iron spear railings.
Listing NGR: SZ3543989634
© Dr Barry Senior. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Senior, Barry
Rights Holder: Senior, Barry
Ashlar, Brick, Cast Iron, Slate, Victorian Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Column, Unassigned, Building Component, Building, Methodist Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Railings