This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WATTON CHURCH LANE TA OS NW (north side)
15/68 Church of St Mary 20.9.66
Church. C15 incorporating some C13 materials, with later additions and alterations including probably mid C19 south porch, north vestry dated 1859, C20 parapet to tower. Pinkish-red brick in mainly stretcher bond with ashlar dressings, and lead and plain tile roofs. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch and north vestry, narrower and lower 2-bay chancel.
Tower: chamfered plinth,and angle buttresses with offsets to full height with ashlar dressings, the south-west buttress has incised mass clock.
Hollow-chamfered ashlar sill band continues around tower and to west end of nave. West side: first stage, a 3-cinquefoil-light, straight headed window in double-chamfered ashlar surround with hollow-chamfered hoodmould that continues round tower; to right of this window a slit window in ashlar surround. To second stage, west, south and north sides, a pointed opening in chamfered surround under hoodmould with label stops and to right of western one a slit opening. Third stage has 2-light bell openings with 4- centred arched lights in chamfered ashlar surrounds under hollow-chamfered hoodmoulds with label stops to each side. Hollow-chamfered cornice. Low parapet. Nave: chamfered plinth. Buttresses with offsets to two-thirds height. South porch between first and second bay has chamfered plinth and short angle buttresses. Pointed opening in chamfered surround under hollow- chamfered hoodmould and with double wood and mesh outer doors. Above entrance a pointed niche with inscription "GLORIA/IN/EICELSIS/DEO". Ashlar copings, cross at apex. Within a similar pointed-arched opening with chamfered surround and board door, under hollow-chamfered hoodmould with label stops and with inscription "ENTER INTO HIS GATES WITH THANKSGIVING, AND INTO HIS COURTS WITH PRAISE". Above a chamfered, pointed niche with inscription "TE/DEUM/LAUDAMAS". First and second bays have tall 2-cinquefoil-light square-headed windows,otherwise a tall 3-cinquefoil-light window in double-chamfered square-headed ashlar surround under hollow- chamfered hoodmould with label stops. Low parapet. North side: chamfered plinth and buttresses with offsets to two-thirds height. Vestry between first and second bays has 4-centred entrance to west side with plank door and 4-centred window to left with quoined, chamfered surround. Eroded plaque to north side carries date 1859. First bay has tall 2-cinquefoil- light square-headed window, otherwise similar shorter windows in double- chamfered ashlar surrounds under hollow-chamfered hoodmoulds with label stops. Low parapet. Chancel, chamfered plinth. South side: off-centre priest's entrance, a 3-long-panelled door in 4-centred surround with quoined and chamfered ashlar jambs incised with mass clocks and under heavy lintel with brick relieving arch over. To first bay a single trefoiled-light in chamfered ashlar surround and under brick relieving arch. To second bay a 2-cinquefoil-light square-headed window in hollow-chamfered ashlar surround under hollow-chamfered hoodmould. To north side 3 reused lancet lights, the easternmost under replacement elliptical arch, with quoined and chamfered ashlar jambs and under rubbed brick hoodmoulds with label stops. Low parapet thoughout. To east end a 3-stepped-cinquefoil-light window in hollow-chamfered surround and under hollow-chamfered hoodmould with label stops. Beneath this an ashlar tablet to Ann Lawson d 1766 under hollow- chamfered hoodmould. Ashlar copings. Most windows partly recut. Interior: tower arch has double-chamfered, pointed head. 2-light pointed piscina to south wall of nave. C19 stoup to chancel and boss for a statue. Rood screen has 3 tiers of cinquefoil lights. Late C17 communion rail has alternate fluted rod and barley twist on leafed-vase balusters. C19 bowl font. Open timber roof and to nave a grid beamed ceiling with bosses.
Monuments, in chancel: marble cartouche with cherub's heads to Mrs Sarah Bethell d1730, and other marble tablets to William Dickinson d1702, to William Hall d1681 and to Mrs Elizabeth Bethell d1726. Incised slab to William de Malton c1260. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 360.
Listing NGR: TA0219649732
© Mr Les Waby. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Waby, Les
Rights Holder: Waby, Les
Ashlar, Brick, Lead, Tile, Medieval Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship