This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ICKLEFORD ARLESEY ROAD TL 1831 (West side)
10/34 No. 41 27.5.68 (The Old George Inn)
House, now a public house. C16 or earlier open hall house, early C17 inserted floor and internal chimney, renovated in C18 and C19. Timber frame on brick sill, roughcast on ground floor, exposed frame on 1st floor with plastered infill panels. Steep old red tile roofs. A T-plan medieval house facing E with 2-storeys and cellar N parlour crosswing, and lower 1 1/2-storeys main range. This range has an original storeyed S bay formerly axially divided for pantry and buttery with separate entrances to each from cross-passage and for stair to upper floor at E side. 2-bays hall has close-studded partition at upper end with 4-centred arched doorway with moulded frame and sunk spandrels at NW into 2-bays crosswing parlour with stair beside W end wall. C17 chimney inserted part blocking cross-passage when floor inserted. Lobby entry plan completed when S service bay made one room and C18 fireplace inserted backing onto hall chimney. E front has close-studding to 1st floor, projecting gabled porch to entrance with 3-lights casement window to LH and shallow rectangular 2-storeys bay with gabled top. 3-lights casements, and small 2-lights ovolo moulded window at high level on ground floor beside it. 3-lights casement to 1st floor of gabled N crosswing above the canted bay window to ground floor. Large internal chimney has tall cruciform stack above roof set diagonally. Projecting large chimney on N side of N wing to front bay. Interior has exposed timbers with irregular flat joists to S bay floor, regular flat joints to N wing, jowled posts, curved tension braces, and clasped-purlin roofs on trusses with collars. Inserted hall floor carried on axial beam with soffit carved in relief with alternating strapwork rectangles and ovals. Moulded oak 4-centred fire surround with sunk spandrels. Small cupboard door in back with lozenge decoration. Moulded plank doors to entrance lobby and 1st floor. Britannia firemark No. 71210 now fixed to side of axial beam in hall. (RCHM (1911)245).
Listing NGR: TL1822331578
© Mr David Black. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Black, David
Rights Holder: Black, David
Brick, Plaster, Roughcast, Tile, Timber, Medieval Open Hall House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Hall House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Public House, Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational, Buttery, Agriculture And Subsistence, Food And Drink Processing Site, Agricultural Building
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.