This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 14 NE PARISH OF MAPLETON ASHBOURNE ROAD 7/41 (East Side) 13.9.1967 St Mary's Church
Church. Mid C18. Coursed limestone with sandstone dressings. West tower, nave and chancel in one. West tower, plain lower stage with slit staircase windows to north and south. West porch with flat hood and two Tuscan columns. Doorway with semi-circular moulded arch with projecting keystone and imposts. Six panelled, raised and fielded double doors. Shallow bell stage, divided by a string band. Angle quoins and an elongated circular bell opening to each face.
Cornice above. Octagonal dome surmounted by a stone lantern. Nave and chancel with quoins and cornice. North and south elevations each with three round-arched windows with raised stone surrounds, imposts and keystones. Similar east window.
Plain interior altered in the C19. West gallery with panelled front, on two slender iron columns. No division between the nave and chancel. Panelled dado.
Several C19 brasses on the north wall, to members of the Goodwin family. One to Francis Goodwin 1808-1895 and one to Richard Goodwin-Gladwin 1895, signed by James Hardman & Co of Birmingham. Stained glass in the east window 1926 by A J Davies of the Bromsgrove Guild. Painted organ case.
Listing NGR: SK1659348039
© Mr Donald Pittman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Pittman, Donald
Rights Holder: Pittman, Donald
Iron, Limestone, Sandstone, Stone, Georgian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument