This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 14 NE OKEOVER C.P. OKEOVER PARK 3/124 Church of All Saints 12/1/66
Former parish church now estate church. Early C14, restored 1856-8 to the designs of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Ashlar; shaped tile roof with plain tile bands and moulded coped verges. West tower with diagonal buttresses, 2-bay nave and 2-bay chancel under one roof line, with diagonal buttresses to east and buttresses at division of nave and chancel, south porch. West tower: 3 stages marked by strings, restored West door with roll and fillet moulded pointed arch with hood mould over; C15 West window of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights and central mullion under a 4-centred arch, niche above window partly obscured by plant growth at time of resurvey (October 1984); clock to north side of second stage; louvred belfry openings with Y-tracery under a 4-centred arch and hood moulds terminating in grotesque heads; crenellated parapet with corner finials. Nave: windows have Y- tracery and hood moulds; Chancel has 2-light windows with a single reticulation over, beneath a pointed arch and hood moulds terminating in heads, east window of 3 trefoil-headed lights, the central one ogeed, the outer ones rounded, and Decorated tracery over, hood mould terminating in male and female heads; nave and chancel have roll and fillet moulded parapet string to moulded coped parapet, foliated hollow below string and gargoyles at intervals. Interior: Tall pointed tower arch; C19 nave roof of arch braced rafters, chancel roof of decorative wooden panels; piscina probably C18 with project- ing bowl resting on a bust. Fittings: Mid-to-late C19 font, pedestal surrounded by marble alcoves with naturalistic foliated capi- tals, bowl has a quatrefoil recess in each side with foliage decoration; rood screen dated 1855 by Scott, 3 open work panels to each side of central ogee arch, elaborately carved with foliage; choir stalls by Scott carved with foliage; wooden pulpit mid-to-late C19 with stone base and steps, ornately carved with foliage and twisted colonettes with foliated capitals. Monuments: Palimpsest brass originally commemorating William Lord Zouche (d. 1447) and Alice (Seymour) his wife, with another wife and has been altered to a memorial for Sir Humphrey Okeover, esq. (d.1538). Marble memorial to Leak and Mary Okeover died 1765 and 1764 by Wilton, surmounted by an angel holding a wreath in one hand and a torch in the other and resting on an urn with the superimposed profiles of a man and woman on the base.
Stained glass: Some C14 glass in east window; S.E. nave window by Warrington 1857. B.O.E. P.216; Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire (1884).
Listing NGR: SK1585148128
© Mr Donald Pittman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Pittman, Donald
Rights Holder: Pittman, Donald
Ashlar, Tile, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Estate Building, Domestic