This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NORTH PETHERWIN SX 28 NE 8/116 Lychgate at west entrance to - churchyard of Church of St Paternus
Lychgate. Circa 1878, probably contemporary with the restoration of the church (qv Church of St Paternus). Ashlar local stone. Slate roof with half hipped ends with scalloped slate verges, clay ridge tiles and clay crosses at the ends of the ridge.
Rectangular plan, the lychgate forming the west entrance to the churchyard.
The lynchgate has stone side walls with a 2-centred arch opening at either end; the inner (churchyard end) has buttresses with set-offs flanking the arch; the outer end has timber gates.
Interior: Common-rafter roof with arch braces on small corbels resting on the moulded wall-plate.
Listing NGR: SX2815489638
© Dr Ann Allen. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allen, Ann
Rights Holder: Allen, Ann
Ashlar, Slate, Victorian Lych Gate, Religious Ritual And Funerary