This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
.. . - "..... . ...-- . -- -' [email protected]+ ROAD 1.
1082 LYNN ROAD (East Side) No 4 TL 5480 1/31 23.9.50.
A C17 Building, possibly incorporating an earlier structure, considerably altered in the C18 and later. It was used as a Jail from the end of the C17 when the Bishop's jail was transferred from Ely Porta in 1836 when the Bishop lost his jurisdiction. In 1768 Bishop Manson partly reconstructed the building. A prison report of 1804 reports on this prison:- "This goal not being secure is the reason why felons are so securely chained down. The irons used 18 or 19 pounds weight and one pair 43 pounds which in 1799 one John Gothard, a transport, had on for 3 days......" There is only one iron collar with spikes now left and the last time it was used was on James Thomson in the year 1798" The building is square on plan and is built partly of stone rubble and partly of red and yellow brick. 2 storeys. 2 window range on each front, the window are partly double-hung sashes with glazing bars and partly C20 casements.
Some of the window openings retain the iron bars of the prison. The 1st storey rooms have the original heavy boarded, barred and double bolted prison doors with inspection windows. Roof tiled, double pitched and hipped. A small prisoners exercise yard remains on the east side.
Listing NGR: TL5405980465
© Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Polaine, Alan Francis
Rights Holder: Polaine, Alan Francis
Brick, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Tudor Building, Elizabethan Unassigned, Stuart Prison, Jacobean Civil, Legal Site, Structure, Exercise Yard, Health And Welfare