This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
PRIORS HARDWICK CHURCH END SP4756 (East side) 14/98 Church of St. Mary 30/05/67
Church. Late C13; nave c.1300; porch C14. Upper part of tower C15. Re-roofed, nave largely rebuilt and vestry added 1868. Ironstone: chancel and tower of squared rubble; nave, porch and vestry regular coursed. Tile roofs have C19 coped gable parapets. High, wide chancel and nave, west tower, south porch and north vestry. 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has moulded double splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses with 3 offsets. Sill course. Unusual 3-light east window of lancets and 3 spherical triangles; bottom part blocked. South doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders and rich hood mould has splayed jambs and remains of stiff-leaf capitals; nook shafts missing. Plank door. Short eastern window, set high up, of 4 lights, with uncusped circles. Central and 3 north windows have Y-tracery. South-west window originally similar, but with top removed.
Deep, moulded splayed sills. South porch has doorway with outer chamfered and inner moulded order, hood mould and return stops. Double doors with wooden grilles. Small blocked ogee windows, cut from single blocks. Inside south doorway of c.1300 has outer hollow and inner moulded order, and remains of hood mould. Plank door. Stone benches. Nave has east angle buttresses with 3 offsets and west diagonal buttresses with 2 offsets; south-east buttress dated 1868.
South-east window has Y-tracery. Larger central 2-light, south-west 3-light and north windows have cusped Y- and intersecting tracery. Low square north vestry has north window of paired trefoiled 2-light straight-headed windows. Large moulded cornice and parapet; flat roof. Tower has west angle buttresses with 2 offsets. West lancet. North and west sides have clock faces of 1938; south side has narrow ogee lancet. Bell openings of paired narrow trefoiled round arched lights, with stone louvres. Moulded cornice and moulded crenellated parapet.
Simple pinnacles. Interior: plastered walls. East window has thin nook shafts, stiff-leaf capitals arid imposts, and elaborately moulded arch. North and south chancel windows have rere arches with hood moulds, to north continuous, with head corbels. Moulded sill course. Aumbry, without door, in north wall. Very fine late C13 piscina and 2 sedilia, carved with naturalistic foliage, of 3 moulded orders with shafts. Piscina has C19 openwork cinqfoiled arch and cicular basin within octagonal shelf. Continuous hood mould with a head end stop.
Panelled wagon roof with moulded ribs. Very elaborate C19 Early English style chancel arch of 3 orders with naturalistic carving. Nave has continuous sill course and hood mould, forming round arch above south door and arch above door to vestry. Plain tower arch. Arched braced roof, with cinqfoiled lancets and quatrefoils above collar. Large stone corbels carved with medieval style cowled figures. Fittings: plain C13 font. Turned communion rails with pendants of c.1700. Monument: remains of a C15 incised slab.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire: Vol. 5 pp 138-139; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p 377).
Listing NGR: SP4717156193
© Helmut Schulenburg. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Schulenburg, Helmut
Rights Holder: Schulenburg, Helmut
Ironstone, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Grave Slab, Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Vestry