This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ 51 SE WITHINGTON C.P. WITHINGTON
4/118 Manor Farmhouse -
Shown on O.S. map as Manor House. Farmhouse, now divided. Dated 1710. Red brick with probably 2-span plain tile roof. 2 storeys to front and 3 storeys at rear. Plat band, painted moulded wooden dentil eaves cornice, stone coped gabled-end with straight parapet to central valley, external brick end stacks, and three C20 roof-lights 5 bays; mainly early C18 flush-framed glazing bar sashes with gauged heads, 2 ground-floor late C18 sashes to left with C20 brick cills; 3 semi-circular stone steps up to central door with 6 flush panels and 2-part overlight, moulded architrave, and flat hood. Dated "M.EDG.& MARY/MADDOX.1710" on central first-floor lintel. One-storey lean-to to right has 2-light casement to right and door to left with 6 flush panels. 2-storey service wing set back to right with external end stack. Left-hand return front and rear have floor bands. Interior: circa 1710 dog-leg staircase with open string, turned balusters, turned bottom newel post, paired balusters as half-landing and landing newels, and moulded handrail; early C18 fireplace surrounds; ground- floor room at rear has corner fireplace with moulded cornice.
Listing NGR: SJ5755813243
© Mr Derek Taylor. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Taylor, Derek
Rights Holder: Taylor, Derek
Brick, Tile, Stuart Farmhouse, Georgian Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Service Wing, Steps, Transport, Pedestrian Transport Site
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.