This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ALLER CP PLOT STREAM ST42NW PLOT STREAM 5/6 Turn Cottage - - II
(Turnpike House on O.S. Map). Former Toll House. Early C19. Red brick, English bond; hipped double Roman clay tile roof; brick chimney stacks. 'L'-plan; 2 storeys, 2 bays each face. Roadside chamfered projection is original toll house; in each face chamfered pointed arched surrounds to 'Y'-traceried casements; in front face a matching doorway now blocked with shaped casement window, with blind panels above and in full returns, band course between windows and stopped arched label course to upper windows. Rear extension probably late C19/early C20, more sophisticated, but matching, with pairs 4-pane sash windows to front. To rear this extension appears to embrace former lean-to, with, in east elevation, a pointed casement below and plain sash window above. Interior not seen. This road taken into Langport, Somerton and Castle Cary Trust in 1792, but turnpiked in 1828: a similar toll houuse formerly stood at Beer Cross, at opposite end of Parish (VCR vol III, 1974).
Listing NGR: ST4098028571
© Mr Michael Cook. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cook, Michael
Rights Holder: Cook, Michael
Brick, Roman Tile, Georgian Toll House, Victorian Transport, Road Transport Site, Domestic, Transport Workers House, House, Dwelling, Monument (By Form)