This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 97 NW BUCKDEN HUBBERHOLME
6/39 Church of St. Michael and All Angels 10.9.54
Church. C12 with C16 and C17 rebuilding, restored C19 and mid C20.
Limestone rubble, lead-coated steel roof. West tower of 2 stages; 3-bay nave and l-bay chancel and aisles under one roof with north vestry. South porch, gabled, with cyma moulded segmental arch and double board doors; a date stone in the gable with "1696" in raised letters. South door to chancel with board door, cavetto moulded pointed arched surround. Nave south windows: 2 of 3 lights; that to left with round-headed lights and cavetto mullions, the right of 3 cusped lights with straight chamfers. All windows straight-headed and lacking solid sills. Chancel south window of 5 round-headed lights; nave south windows of 3 lights; to left as chancel, to right with trefoil-headed lights. North side: nave windows are of 3 and 2 cusped lights, restored; vestry with C19 one-and 2-light windows. The chancel north window is of 2 cusped lights, probably reset, with a relieving arch. East end: a C19 decorated 3-light east window and 2-light north aisle window. The south aisle east window is of 3 cusped lights. West tower: a narrow slit window to lower stage, south side, a rectangular window with leaded lights to the west face, a slit window above. Belfry windows of 1 and 2 lights with stone louvres; a drip moulding between the stages and below the battlemented parapet which retains the line of a pitched roof on the east side. Boiler house between tower and north aisle with mullioned windows brought from East Deepdale. Interior: the inner door is probably C17, the boards fastened with square-headed nails and having strap hinges. The archway has plain jambs and a slight roll moulding to the round arch of 3 blocks. There are 2 steps down into the church which has a north arcade with octagonal piers and depressed two- centred double chamfered arches. The south arcade is round-arched, on octagonal piers with flat capitals. The painted rood loft is dated 1558, restored C20 and has a fine pierced east parapet with traceried arches, linen-fold panelling and 4-petal flowers on the friezes. The altar rail has widely spaced bulbous balusters; the pulpit has reused panelling dated 1641. The font bowl, probably C15, has reused quatrefoil recessed panels with bearded heads and incised fleur de lis motifs; the rounded stem may be earlier. N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Yorkshire, West Riding, 1967, p270
Listing NGR: SD9261478268
© Mr David H. Brown. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brown, David H.
Rights Holder: Brown, David H.
Lead, Limestone, Rubble, Steel, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.