This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
UPLOWMAN -- ST 01 SW 8/182 Barn approximately 10 metres south - of Widhayes Farmhouse GV II Double barn. Mid-late Cl7, refurbished in 1800. Cob on stone rubble footings; corrugated iron roof, formerly thatch.
Plan: long double barn on a roughly east-west axis facing north into the farmyard.
There are 2 sets of full height opposing doorways onto the threshing floors.
Exterior: the long front is interrupted by 2 full height doorways, each one flanked by short projecting midstrey walls and the eaves are carried down over as small hoods. The right double doorway is C20 but the rear one behind has the date 1800 painted on the inside. The left double doorway is probably contemporary and has the name R. Chave inscribed onto one of the flaps (he died 1827). Another flap has the worn remains of an inscribed coat of arms. The rear double doorway here is also contemporary. These double doorways of 1800 are split into flaps and complete with their original wrought iron and oak fittings. Also the left (east) end wall contains a contemporary door with hayloft loading hatch above. The right end has been mended and altered a little with C20 brick. The roof is tall and steeply- pitched. It is hipped each end.
Interior: is open to the roof of mid-late Cl7 tall A-frame trusses with pegged lap- jointed collars.
This barn and the nearby linhay (q.v) are particularly good examples of traditional Devon farmbuildings.
Listing NGR: ST0037214487
© Mr Terence Harper. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Harper, Terence
Rights Holder: Harper, Terence
Brick, Cob, Iron, Rubble, Stone, Thatch, Stuart Barn, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Hayloft, Threshing Floor