This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ESH USHAW NZ 2143 14/25 Former laboratory at College of St.
Cuthbert, and corridor attached
Chemical laboratory, now lavatory block with corridor attached. 1854-6 by E.W. Pugin. Attached to east end of hall in north range of main college building (q.v.). Medieval style,the laboratory resembling a chapter house.
Thin courses of squared sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roofs of graduated Lakeland slates with stone gable copings and fleur-de-lys-crested ridge tiles. Square-plan laboratory. One-storey, 7-bay corridor at left; one-storey, 2-bay laboratory at right.
Corridor: first 2 bays slightly higher and separated by buttress from 5-bay part with steps up to double boarded doors in 2-centred arch in moulded surround; paired cusped lights except for single light in right bay under dripmoulds. Gablets on feet of overlapping gable coping between sections.
Laboratory has stepped sill string under transomed windows with 2 cusped lights under gabled dormer; angle buttresses; steeply-pitched pyramidal roof with high lattice-glazed octagonal lantern and spirelet with spike finial.
Listing NGR: NZ2194043795
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Ashlar, Lake District Slate, Sandstone, Victorian Laboratory, Industrial, Education, Toilet, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Disposal Site