This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ89NE ST JOHN'S ROAD, Longsight 698-1/5/739 (West side) 03/10/74 Church of St John
Church. 1845-46, by J.E.Gregan; altered. Snecked yellow sandstone rubble with gritstone dressings, steeply-pitched slate roofs. Early English style. Nave with south-west steeple, north and south aisles, south porch, north and south transepts, chancel with north vestry. The 3-stage tower, the upper stages successivey set back, has diagonal buttresses and a canted north-west stair turret, cusped lancets to the 1st and 2nd stages, 2-centred arched 2-light belfry windows, and a broach spire with lucarnes on 2 levels. The gabled south porch next to this has a 2-centred arched doorway with shafts and moulded surround (nail-head carving begun on the right-hand side but not continued or completed), a hoodmould with figured stops, and double doors with strap hinges in Celtic style. The 3-bay nave has coupled lancet clerestory windows and a very large 4-light west window with geometrical tracery; the aisles have buttresses and lancet windows; the transepts have triple lancets and quatrefoils above; and the one-bay chancel has a large east window with 3 trefoil lights and geometrical tracery. Gabled vestry attached to east side of north transept, with moulded 2-centred arched doorway, and addition to left linking it to chancel. Interior not inspected. Forms group with St John's CE Primary School (Mitre Road) to east (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SJ8662095599
© Mr John Riley. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Riley2, John
Rights Holder: Riley2, John
Gritstone (Sandstone), Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship