This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LARTINGTON LARTINGTON LANE NZ 0217 (North side, off)
32/92 Lartington Hall, Monk's Flat, 12.1.67 Witham Court and Hansom House (Formerly listed as GV Lartington Hall) II* Large county house and former servants' wing, the latter now 3 dwellings: Monk's Flat, Witham Court and Hansom House. Dated 1635 on porch doorway; late C18 chapel and west wing; early C19 east wing with c.1836 ballroom addition possibly by Ignatius Bonomi; porte-cochre, vestibule, corridor and servants' wing added 1861-5 by Joseph Hansom. Pebble-dashed masonry, graduated green slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. Servants' wing: squared masonry; stone- flagged roofs and stone chimney stacks. Reversed U-plan: centre block; chapel, wing and rear servants' wing to west; early C19 east wing with ballroom and 1861-5 additions to north.
South front: 3-storey, 5-bay centre with projecting 3-storey porch: doorway with 3-centred head and re-cut 1635 date on lintel; blocked 2-light chamfered- mullioned window and 4-pane sash in architrave above. 4-pine sashes in flanking bays. 3-light Geometrical-tracery window in projecting chapel. 4-bay wing to east, with replaced 4-pane sashes, breaks forward. Eaves cornice. Low-pitched roof is hipped over wings and porch. Stepped and corniced ridge stacks with ornamental chimney pots.
2-storey, 9-bay east front has 3-bay centre and canted end bays. Plinth, replaced 4-pane sashes, eaves cornice and low-pitched roof. Ballroom addition: canted east bay with elaborate, pedimented tripartite window; taller main block behind with clerestory and low-pitched hipped roof; set-back north bay with Venetian window.
North front: 2-bay porte-cochre has round archways, end piers with vermiculated rustication, entablature with 1863 datestone and round-arched, pedimented return bays. Square vestibule behind has canted corners, small glazed lantern and low- pitched pyramidal roof.
2-storey west front of 2 builds: 3-bay north section has 12-pane sashes; 2 gabled porches at junction; 4-bay chapel has pointed windows with impost blocks; horse-mounting block to south end. Low-pitched hipped roof.
Servants' wing has sashes, steeply-pitched roofs, tall stacks and 1861 datestone in south gable of Hansom House.
Interior: former chapel, now squash court, has Gothic plasterwork, quadripartite rib-vaulted ceiling and north gallery. Colonnaded ballroom has canted corners, 4 segmental-arched recesses, Composite capitals, enriched entablature carried across the recesses, clerestory and coffered ceiling. Cinquecento-style additions by Hansom: vestibule with canted corners, niches, enriched round archways and painted coffered ceiling cove; linking 6-bay corridor to ballroom (south section has 3 circular skylights on pendentives; north section has late C20 suspended ceiling); spacious staircase hall has open-well cantilevered stone stair with wreathed and ramped handrail and cast-iron balusters, skylight with C19 heraldic stained glass, Venetian stair window with stained glass of Pre- Raphaelite female figure holding lyre.
Lartington Hall was the home of the geologist Henry Witham (1779-1844).
Listing NGR: NZ0214217756