This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LARTINGTON LARTINGTON LANE NZ 0217 (North side, off) 32/96 Mausoleum/Mortuary Chapel, 90 metres north of Yew Trees II Small mausoleum/mortuary chapel. Dated 1877 on keystone. Built for Monsignor Thomas Witham of Lartington Hall. Rock-faced masonry with leaded roofs. Square, single-cell plan.
Stepped clasping buttresses. Pair of 3-panel doors in splayed round-arched doorway with roll-moulded hoodmould and projecting keystone inscribed: TW 1877.
Doorway-flanked by stepped pilasters partly cut away to accommodate red sandstone colonnettes. Pilasters crowned by statuettes of St. Peter (to left) and St.
Paul (to right). Raised cross above keystone. Wood eaves cornice. Low-pitched hipped roof surmounted by glazed, square-plan lantern with leaded pyramidal roof. Slightly-projecting rear bay has 3 stepped round-headed lancets.
Caen-stone-lined interior has carvings by Messrs. Priestman and Sons of Darlington.
Of interest as a mortuary chapel in a private Catholic cemetery.
Listing NGR: NZ0205217860
© Mr Bob Cottrell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Cottrell, Bob
Rights Holder: Cottrell, Bob
Lead, Sandstone, Stone, Wood, Victorian Mortuary Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Roman Catholic Chapel, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Mausoleum, Funerary Site