This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5112 The Old Congregational Church SE 02 SE 7/133 II GV 2. Dated 1845. Sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Then more a Church Commissioners type, unusually in a Tudor-gothic style. Battlemented gable end 3 bay front with gabled centrepiece flanked by octagonal turrets, their top 2 storeys ashlar faced and venellated with vertical porch. Pierced balustraded coping to gable with clock face = in apex and date inscribed. Coved string carried over turrets from side bays.
High set weathered sill string. Flanking bays have 4 centred arch single lights in chamfered surrounds with drip moulds. Large 3 light mullioned transomed lancet group to centrepiece under 4 centred arch with drip mould. 4 centred arch doorway reused for 2 orders. 4 bays each side articulated by shallow buttresses, plain parapet.
2 light mullioned full height windows with diamond headed glazing under Tudor drip mould arches. Reset date stone confirming early C18 foundation of 1705 (repaired 1805 before rebuild) in rear gable end. Large 3 light "east" window with similar Perp, detail. Interior although altered as residence retains good "Perpendicula" cast iron staircase rising behind central doorway as imperial split flight to serve gallery with mahogany handrail and cantilevered ashlar stops. Gallery remains in post with quatrefoil panelling. Cusped roof trusses. Crucial village centre site at T junction.
Listing NGR: SE0573824802
© Mr Nigel Wood. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Wood, Nigel
Rights Holder: Wood, Nigel
Ashlar, Sandstone, Stuart Congregational Chapel, Georgian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument