This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS5534SE BULL HILL, Pilton 684-1/2/321 (South side) 31/12/73 Pilton Abbey
House. c1840s, probably with an earlier core. Mass wall construction, rendered; one stone rubble elevation to service end; gabled, coped slate roofs (one hipped roof to service wing, which might be earlier); stacks with rendered shafts, some multiple, with projecting cornices and some old pots; cast-iron rainwater goods. Large, deep, approximately rectangular plan with entrance on the east side and service wings to NW. 3 storeys. Deep eaves with projecting rafter ends. Timber mullioned windows with moulded mullions and high transoms, glazed with small-pane casements. Asymmetrical 3-window E front. Left-hand of elevation occupied by shallow projecting stack with set-offs and triple shafts. Projecting porch alongside to right with coped gable with corbelled kneelers and chamfered Tudor arched outer doorway; Tudor-style front door with planted mouldings. 2 ground and 3 first-floor windows, the ground-floor windows with hoodmoulds. One gabled attic dormer in narrow gable, also coped with kneelers, with one-light crank-headed window. Service block to right is gable end to the E with a single first-floor 2-light window to match the others and a gable end stack. Garden (S) elevation in the same style is gabled to the front to left and right with a small gable to the narrow recessed bay in the centre. Shallow ground-floor bays to left and right with hipped roofs, glazed with 3-light windows. 2-storey canted bay in centre with half-glazed garden door and bay window to first floor. Second-floor window above bay is a one-light crank-headed window. Outer bays have 3-light first-floor windows and 2-light attic windows in the gables.
Other elevations preserve early C19 windows including at least one 16-pane sash which may be C18. INTERIOR: not seen on survey but known to contain early C19 chimneypieces and joinery. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was never part of a monastic site. It was known as Lee's tenement in the C17 and C18. It was a large house by 1780, and was named Pilton Abbey by 1866.
(Reed MA: Pilton, its Past and Present: Barnstaple: 1985-: 159-60).
Listing NGR: SS5562234099
© Dr Barbara Hilton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hilton, Barbara
Rights Holder: Hilton, Barbara
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.