Building Behind Queen Anne's Walk (Over 60'S Club) / Building Behind Queen Anne's Walk (Masonic Hall On Map)

29 Jul 2004
Building Behind Queen Anne's Walk (Over 60'S Club), The Strand, Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon
Show all locations
Building Behind Queen Anne's Walk (Masonic Hall On Map), The Strand, Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.


SS5533SE THE STRAND 684-1/7/244 (South West side) 31/12/73 Building behind Queen Anne's Walk (Over-60s' Club) (Formerly Listed as: THE STRAND Building behind Queen Anne's Walk (Masonic Hall on map))


Former public baths, converted to Masonic Hall in 1868, now club. Said to be 1859, the date of the public baths, but some brickwork looks earlier. Attached to NW side of Queen Anne's Walk (qv). Flemish bond brick construction, the SW elevation originally rendered, the NE elevation (to The Strand), designed to continue the scale of Queen Anne's Walk (qv), cement-rendered and blocked out. Roughly rectangular block consisting of 2 parallel halls, roofed on a NW/SE axis divided by an entrance passage from offices on the NE side. Main entrance from Queen Anne's Walk into passage between halls and offices, entrance to offices in NE side from The Strand. Single-storey. Asymmetrical 5-bay NE elevation (to The Strand) continues line of cornice and parapet of Queen Anne's Walk, centre 3 bays are broken forward with chamfered, rusticated pilasters. Windows with Gibbs surrounds and segmental heads with triple keyblocks. Doorway in right-hand of centre bays, C20 timber windows. SW side, facing the river is 6 bays divided by pilasters with round-headed recesses with keyblocks, the 2 outer bays fenestrated with C20 timber windows. The exposed brickwork is heavily repaired and the original, particularly on the NW return, might be pre-Victorian. Two C20 timber windows onto Queen Anne's Walk. INTERIOR: 2 attractive late Victorian/Edwardian halls. The SW hall has walls divided by giant engaged columns with a large cornice and coved, ribbed ceiling. End bays have square wall pillars with coffered ceiling and round-headed niche at NW end and flat ceiling at SE end. NE hall has c1900 3-bay roof with flat ceiling above collars of A-frame trusses which are held on moulded corbels; Adam-style frieze above moulded picture rail.

Listing NGR: SS5568433118


This is part of the Series: IOE01/0990 IOE Records taken by Barbara Hilton; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Dr Barbara Hilton. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Hilton, Barbara

Rights Holder: Hilton, Barbara