This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TG 41 SE ORMESBY ST. MICHAEL YARMOUTH ROAD (north side) 4/36 25.9.62 Church of St. Michael - II* Parish church. C13 tower and chancel, C14 nave. Chancel restored 1787. Major restorations 1885-86. Further restorations 1973-79. Flint with ashlar dressings. Thatched nave and leaded chancel. 3 stage unbuttressed west tower, externally of 2 stages. Ashlar quoins. 2-light cusped west window with rounded lights. Quatrefoil ringing chamber ventilation lights to north, south and west. These immediately below string course. Louvred belfry windows under triangular heads in reduced brick openings. Flushwork crenellated parapet.
4 gargoyles. Diagonal buttresses to west end of nave. Gabled and thatched south porch dating from 1970's work. Wave and hollow chamfer inner south doorway. 2 flat stepped buttresses to nave, north and south. 2 2-light cusped Y tracery south windows moulded on exterior. 2 2-light Perpendicular north windows. North door blocked and, over it, a C20 circular flint outbuilding.
West of this the remains of brick jambs of a window. Eastern nave gable.
One trefoiled lancet to north and south chancel walls. In addition south side pierced by arched priests' door and 2-light C13 plate tracery window : pointed lights supporting encircled quatrefoil vesica. Diagonal east buttresses and 3-light C19 Perpendicular window. Interior. Hollow chamfered tower arch.
Nave roof restored'1885-86. Moulded principals on hollow chamfered arched braces dropping into wall posts. Roll moulded wall plate below 2 tiers crenellations. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Wave moulded C19 chancel arch with polygonal responds, bases and capitals. 3 orders of wave mouldings in arch. Scissor braced chancel roof of C13 origins but so restored as to- qualify for date of 1885-86. Chamfered arched piscina. Plain C13 octagonal font with central shaft and 8 orbiting Purbeck marble columns.
Restored. 3 chancel windows contain stained glass by Hanry Holiday : south 1898, north 1911-13, east 1919-20.
Listing NGR: TG4807514883
© Mr Michael Parker. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Parker, Michael
Rights Holder: Parker, Michael
Ashlar, Brick, Flint, Lead, Thatch, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Oubliette, Unassigned, Building
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.