This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
1. ST BOTOLPH'S STREET 995 Ruins of Priory Church TL 9924 NE 9/4 of St Botolph
The ruins of the great mid C12 conventual church of the Priory of St Botolph, founded at the beginning of the century as the first house of Augustinian Canons in England. It was built almost entirely with stone and brick taken from Roman buildings. There are great circular columns in brick to the nave, and the west front is particularly fine, with curious interlacing arcades in brick. The church survived the suppression of the Priory in 1536 as it had been the parish church of St Botolph's for some time. It was ruined in the siege of Colchester in 1648. A.M.
Listing NGR: TL9994824958
© Mr Robert Farrow. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Farrow, Robert
Rights Holder: Farrow, Robert
Brick, Stone, Medieval Augustinian Monastery, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Monastery, Religious House, Priory, Church, Place Of Worship, Parish Church