This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TM5076 MARKET PLACE 588-1/7/75 (East side) 22/11/71 No.21
Town gaol, now shop. 1819, converted to shop 1835 and partly rebuilt: late C19 shop front. Gault brick; black-glazed pantile roof continuous with No.23 (qv) and hipped at right end. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 1-window front behind single-storey projecting shop front, returned at right end. Shop front has door with overlight between 2/2 horned sash shop windows: return has wide 4/4 horned display sash and blind box above fascia. First floor of original building has central Venetian window consisting of 2/2 and 6/6 horned sashes with gauged brick arch over centre light. Dentilled eaves cornice. INTERIOR: holding cells converted and partitions demolished for retail area. (Bottomley A & Hutchinson J: Discovering Southwold: Southwold: 1988-: 1; Jenkins AB: A Hundred Years of Southwold in Photographs: Southwold: 1983-: 12).
Listing NGR: TM5082576119
© Mrs Angela Clark. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clark, Angela
Rights Holder: Clark, Angela
Brick, Pantile, Georgian Prison, Civil, Legal Site, Shop, Commercial