This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ 86 NE GAWSWORTH C.P. CHURCH LANE
5/10 Gawsworth New Hall (formerly listed as the New Hall)
Country House. 1707-1712 with later additions and alterations, including those dated on datestone of 1914 by Sir Hubert Worthington.
Red Flemish bond brick with stone slate roof. Two storeys and attic, E-shaped plan. Garden front: 16 bays. Slightly projecting plinth.
String course between floors. C19 sash windows of 4 panes to both floors replacing original casement lights. Flat-arched heads of gauged brick, those at ground floor level being deeper. Doorway at fifth ground floor bay from left replacing original window. Doorway at seventh bay from right now replaced by a window. Break in band above this indicates possible large doorcase. All windows have stone sills. Hipped dormers to attic. Left hand reveal: 7 bays similar to garden front save that the ground floor sash windows have 3 x 5 panes and there is a central elaborate wooden doorcase by Sir Hubert Worthington with Corinthian pilasters and segmental open pediment containing swags in high relief supporting a coat of arms of the first Earl of Harrington. First floor window second from right now replaced by triple single-light sashed windows. Courtyard front: Central projecting wing with brick quoins to corners and square datestone to first floor centre containing date 1914 with initial H and coronet over in circular cable surround. Four bays to either side, those in the re-entrant angles to central projection being single storey slightly recessed wings, contemporary with it. Other bays as on garden front with door at left and breaks in string course at right and left indicating probable original doorcases. Projecting wings at either side with usual fenestration but altered by insertion of smaller windows to service rooms, fire escape at right of right hand wing and garage door at left of left hand wing. Original 2-light casement window surviving in right hand wing at first floor level in second bay from left of cross form with 4 x 10 panes to lower lights and 4 x 6 panes above. Similar upper portion of window whose lower lights have been replaced with plate glass at ground floor right of left hand wing.
Interior: Drawing room: late C18 wooden panelled fireplace with painted canvas overmantel of flowers in a vase. Mid Victorian Adam-style surround to another ground floor fireplace. Some hob-grates surviving to attics.
The house was started by Lord Mohun but abandoned after his death in a duel with the Duke of Hamilton in 1712 in which both men were killed.
R Richards - The Manor of Gawsworth
Nikolaus Pevsner & - The Buildings of England : Cheshire Edward Hubbard
Listing NGR: SJ8919169837
© Mr J M Pickering. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Pickering, J M
Rights Holder: Pickering, J M
Brick, Slate, Stone, Stuart Counting House, Georgian Domestic, House, Dwelling