This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
IGHTFIELD C.P. CALVERHALL SJ 63 NW 6/6 Nos. 1-6 (consec.), Church - Terrace GV II
Row of almshouses. Mid-C18 with some late C20 alterations and additions.
Red brick with machine tile roof. L-plan (truncated U-plan). One storey and attic, over basement to right. Plinth to right and parapeted gable ends to right-hand wing with shaped stone kneelers and stone coping.
3 brick ridge stacks. 4:4:4:1 bays. Central gabled break with two C20 two-light wooden attic casements sndpairsof flanking gabled dormers with 2-light wooden casements. Ground-floor wooden cross windows with painted stone cills and tumbled brick heads (second window from left replaces former doorway - see straight joints beneath). C20 glazed doors in third, sixth, seventh, tenth and eleventh bays from left, each with C20 flat-roofed glazed porch. Projecting right-hand wing with wooden cross window to ground floor and attic,and small basement opening beneath. Carved stone coat of arms in central gable with motto and restored stone plaque below with inscription: "TO THE MEMORY OF WILLIAM KENLEY [or KERR?]/ .... HIS WIFE THIS BUILDING / BY HER ERECTED AND ENDOWED / ANNO DOM 17..". Further granite plaque below, inscribed: "TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF / JOHN PEMBERTON HEYWOOD / AND ANNA MARIA HIS WIFE / THE ENDOWMENT OF THESE ALMSHOUSES / WAS IN ACCORDANCE WITH HER WISHES INCURRED / IN THE YEAR 1887 BY THE SUM OF 1400".
Left-hand return front of right-hand wing with evidence of blocked former doorway (see straight joints). Right-hand return front: pair of gabled eaves dormers with 2-light C20 wooden casements. Pair of ground-floor cross windows (left-hand one formerly a door - see straight joints beneath) flanking C20 glazed door. Segmental-headed basement door to left.
Outshut at rear with C20 flat-roofed additions. Interiors not inspected.
Cranage states that the almshouses were founded in 1724 by Katherine Kerr. The present buildings may date from that time but the inscription was partly illegible at the time of survey (October 1986). The corres- ponding left-hand wing was demolished when the Church of the Holy Trinity (q.v.) was rebuilt, attached to the north-west, in 1872 and 1878 to the designs of William Eden Nesfield. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p. 668.
Listing NGR: SJ6032937224
© Mr Les White. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: White, Les
Rights Holder: White, Les
Brick, Tile, Georgian Almshouse, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building