Church Of St Michael And All Angels / Church Of St Michael

6 Mar 2005
Church Of St Michael And All Angels, Welshampton And Lyneal, North Shropshire, Shropshire, SY12 0PH
Show all locations
Church Of St Michael, Welshampton And Lyneal, North Shropshire, Shropshire, SY12 0PH
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.


9/196 Church of St. Michael - (formerly listed as 27.5.53 Church of St. Michael and All Angels) GV II Parish church. 1863 by George Gilbert Scott, on site of earlier church, for Frances Mainwaring and Salusbury Kynaston Mainwaring in memory of Charles Kynaston Mainwaring of Oteley (q.v. under Ellesmere Rural).

Snecked yellow sandstone ashlar; slate roofs with lozenge patterns to nave, zig-zag patterns to chancel and porch and plain bands to aisle and vestry. Stepped coped verges to nave and cast-iron Celtic cross to east end of chancel. Nave and apsidal chancel with bellcote at junct- ion; north porch, south aisle and south-east vestry/organ chamber.

Late Early English Style. Nave. North side has stepped gabled buttress- es to west corner. Moulded cill band and chamfered plinth continued to porch, west end and south aisle. Two 2-light windows with plate tracery and hoodmoulds with foliated stops to left of porch and single trefoil-headed lancet also with foliated label-stops to right. Porch has decorated Celtic cross to gable and pointed moulded outer doorway with 2 orders of shafts and hoodmould with head-stops. Small triple lancets to each side. Pointed inner doorway, moulded with single order of shafts, has foliated label-stops to hoodmould. Scissor-braced roof has hanging cast-iron lamp. Gabled bellcote at junction with chancel has twin-pointed openings divided by circular shaft with foliated capital; blind quatrefoil to each side and Celtic cross to apex. West end has 3-light window with plate tracery and head-stops to hoodmould. Lean- to south aisle, unbuttressed in 4 bays, has diagonal buttress to west corner and twin-gabled buttress to east corner. Paired lancets except for west wall, which has 2-light plate tracery window, all with foliated label-stops to hoodmoulds. Lean-to south-east vestry has pointed arch- way to left with foliated label-stops and inner cusped trefoil-headed doorway approached by flight of 3 steps; narrow rectangular window with shouldered head to right. East wall has paired lancets with blind trefoil heads and stack in form of stepped gable to south-east corner has top rebuilt in concrete. Steps to boiler house below. Apsidal chancel with moulded plinth and stepped cill band is buttressed in 4 unequal bays with foliage decoration below cill band to buttresses and incised decoration above. Carved corbel table. 3 broad lancets with head- stops to semi-circular end and 2-light window with plate tracery and head-stops to north side. Cast-iron downpipes and rainwater heads with blind quatrefoils all round church. Interior. Nave has trussed rafter roof supported on miniature stone octagonal shafts; stone corbel table.

Panelled roof to chancel with foliated bosses and foliage decoration to stone cornice. Pointed moulded chancel arch with head-stops and foliated capitals to clustered marble shafts. Pointed 4-bay south nave arcade has large marble columns with moulded stone bases and capitals; foliage decoration to label-stops of hoodmoulds. West respond has 3 marble shafts and east respond has 2 marble shafts flanking corbelled stone responds. Benches in nave and aisle by Scott have brass sconces with foliage decoration and twisted shafts. Harmonium in front of pointed arch with wooden Gothic screen leading to vestry/organ chamber has C19 copy of Van Eyck's Ghent altar piece. Richly decorated font with 4 marble shafts has octagonal wooden cover with wrought-iron work. Stone pulpit has marble shafts to base and sides. Encaustic tiles in raised chancel and sanctuary, windows of which have marble shafts with foliated stone capitals. Choir stalls and sconces by Scott and wooden Gothic screen in segmental pointed arch with marble shafts and foliated capitals leading to organ chamber. 2 sedilia with trefoil heads on south and trefoil-headed credence shelf on north. Alabaster reredos, wooden commun- ion table and brass altar rails probably also by Scott as is brass candela- brum hanging from roof. Oak chest against west wall of nave probably late C17 or early C18. Brass plate above records that church was built in 1863 in memory of Charles Kynaston Mainwaring and stained glass in west window also in his memory. Glass in north-west window of nave commemorates Jeremiah Lehopena Mashueshue (died 1863), son of Moshesh, "Paramount Chief of Busuto Land, South Africa". More glass of 1863 in chancel. West window of south aisle has late C19 glass to Revd.Charles Mainwaring and south-east window (1885) is in memory of Henrietta Margaret Peel. No monuments of note. The medieval church on the site was replac- ed by one built in 1788 for Mary Kynaston of Oteley, which was in turn demolished by Scott. B.o.E. p. 309; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) p. 778; appendix, p. 1012;

Listing NGR: SJ4337434913


This is part of the Series: IOE01/2188 IOE Records taken by Les White; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr Les White. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: White, Les

Rights Holder: White, Les


Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Timber, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Place Of Worship, Parish Church, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Plaque