This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 23 NW PARISH OF LONGFORD LONGFORD LANE 6/44 (South Side) Longford Cheese Factory GV II Cheese factory, now workshop and store. 1870 with extensive later additions. Built by a consortium of Derbyshire landowners under guidance of Cornelius Schermanhorn, an American cheesemaker. Weatherboarded timber framing, with red brick additions and slate roofs with overhanging eaves. Single storey and four bays with brick additions to rear and to east side. North elevation has raised brick platform with steel girders supporting weatherboarded canopy above, to west end of which is metal plaque inscribed 'The first cheese factory built in England, opened May 4th 1870, under the management of Cornelius Schermanhorn' Behind thecanopy the wall has central double wooden sliding doors and to west a plank door. To east end is another large wooden sliding door.
Beyond to east is a later advanced brick addition with fixed glazed window. All other sides are blank. Interior mostly gone, See article in Country Life, Vol 133, No 3440 February 6th 1963 by L B Powell 'England's first cheese factory'. Listed for historical interest as the first purpose-built cheese factory in Britain.
Listing NGR: SK2195937453
© Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hood, Geoffrey R
Rights Holder: Hood, Geoffrey R
Brick, Slate, Steel, Timber, Weatherboard, Victorian Cheese Factory, Industrial, Food Processing Plant, Factory, Industrial Building, Food Processing Site, Food And Drink Industry Site, Workshop, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument